Players of the Season: Riyad Mahrez
Mahrez magic wins the Premier League for Leicester
Leicester City's flying winger has been one of the reasons for Leicester's amazing season. It was Mahrez's third season at Leicester and nothing that had happened before could have prepared the football world for what happened this season. Mahrez was a sensation!
The Algerian winger was involved in more goals than any other Premier League player this season. Mahrez scored 17 goals for the Foxes, only four players (Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy, Sergio Aguero and Romelu Lukaku) scored more; he also made 11 assists, again, only four players (Mesut Ozil, Christian Eriksen, Dusan Tadic and Dimitri Payet) provided more. Mahrez has been involved in 40% of Leicester City's goals on their march to the Premier League title.
"Teams like Arsenal are expected to win. For us, it’s just a bonus. A dream come true." Riyad Mahrez.
What were his best moments?
Mahrez has been in fantastic form all season, and has had some fantastic moments. Here are some of the key moments from this wonderful season:
- The opening day of the season: Mahrez helped the Foxes to an incredible start to the campaign, scoring twice to beat Sunderland 4-2 away from home
- 8th of August: Tottenham scored late in the match, but Mahrez scored just a minute later to level the game at 1-1. Nobody knew how important this result would be!
- 13th of September: Aston Villa were leading 2-0 at the King Power Stadium, but Mahrez provided two assists to help his side score three and win 3-2.
- 5th of December: Mahrez scored the first hat-trick of his career as Leicester beat Swansea City 4-0.
- 14th of December: Leicester beat Premier League champions Chelsea. Mahrez scores a good goal and makes the assist for the other in a 2-1 win.
- 6th of February: Playing against Manchester City, Mahrez is the best player on the pitch, scoring one and providing another in a brilliant 3-1 win at the Etihad Stadium.
- 4th of April: Riyad Mahrez wins the PFA Player of the Year for 2016, beating teammates Jamie Vardy and N’Golo Kante to the award.
- 7th of May: Leicester City lift the Premier League trophy following their 3-1 win over Everton.
What do we know about Riyad Mahrez?
Riyad Mahrez was born on 21 February 1991 in Sarcelles, which is a suburb in the north of Paris, the French capital. His mother is from Morocco and his father from the small Algerian town of Beni Snous, in the north-west of the country, near the border with Morocco. Mahrez chose to play international football for Algeria, the country where his father was born. With big French clubs like Marseille and Paris St. Germain watching closely, Mahrez decided to join Le Havre in 2010 as it was easier to break into the first team. He made a total of 60 appearances for Le Havre, before moving to Leicester in January 2014.
When Mahrez arrived, Leicester were in the Championship (level 2 of English football), but Mahrez played well and helped Leicester win promotion to the Premier League. He also won a place in Algeria's squad for the World Cup in Brazil. In the Premier League, he is one of Leicester's key players, and he signed a new 4-year contract in August 2015.
"The fans are great, we have good team spirit and I just really like this club. I feel very good here and that’s why I signed for another four years." Riyad Mahrez.
What did you understand?
Did you know......?