Aston Villa were founder members of the Premier League back in 1992/93 and one of the twelve teams that created the Football League when it all began in 1888/89. The Birmingham team would love to replicate what happened in that first-ever Premier League season. Villa finished second which is their best-ever Premier League finish.
- Stadium: Villa Park
- Stadium Capacity: 42,785
- Location: Birmingham
- Founded: 1874
- Nickname: The Villa, The Villans
- Manager: Unai Emery
- Kit: Claret shirts with blue sleeves, white shorts and blue socks
Aston Villa are one of the oldest clubs in English football, Villa were created in 1874, and are the oldest club in the current Premier League. Villa are also one of the most successful football teams, they have won the league title seven times, the FA Cup seven times and the League Cup five times, but the last time they won a cup was in 1996 and the last time they won the league title was in 1981. In 1982, Villa also won the European Cup (now the Champions League) when they beat Bayern Munich in the final.
Aston Villa have some very famous fans, some of these famous supporters include:
- Tom Hanks: The Hollywood movie star lives in New York (USA), not in Birmingham (UK). So why is he a supporter of Aston Villa? He says that watching an Aston Villa match in London, ‘I thought: “I like their colours and I like the name, so I’m gonna be an Aston Villa man from now on!”. Here is what Hanks said just before Aston VIlla played Derby County in the play-off final:
On Monday I will bleed claret and blue for Aston Villa. One match away for a return to the Premier League. Up the Villa! Hanx
— Tom Hanks (@tomhanks) May 25, 2019
- Prince William: The future king of England has been a Villa supporter ever since he saw his first live game (Aston Villa v Bolton Wanderers). And he’s a fan of the Villa fans too: ‘Villa supporters are dedicated – they are great because, although Villa don’t always win, they stay loyal,’ he says.
Why does Prince William support Aston Villa? Find out in this video from the BBC.
Players to Watch
Here are players to watch out for in the Premier League this season:
Ollie Watkins joined Aston Villa in September 2020. Watkins is from Torbay in Devon and played his first football at Exeter City’s academy. He joined the senior team when he was 18 and won the EFL Young Player of the Year award. He then moved to Brentford and helped the Bees win promotion to the Premier League, scoring 49 goals in 143 appearances.
At Aston Villa, he has continued his goalscoring ways, racking up 14 goals in the 20/21 campaign and earning a nomination for the League’s Player of the Year.
Matty Cash joined Aston Villa in September 2020 following six seasons at Nottingham Forest and soon made a name for himself with his fearless tackling and driving runs. He established himself as the first-choice right back and made 28 appearances in his first season. In 2021/22, he started all 38 of the club’s Premier League games and won the club’s Supporter’s Player of the Year award.
Matty Cash was born in England to a Polish Mother. He got a Polish passport in October 2021 and plays football internationally for Poland.
Aston Villa hold the record for most goals scored in a single season in the top division. Villa scored 128 goals in the 1930-31 season!
Aston Villa play Premier League football in Birmingham, the UK's second-biggest city. If you want to find out more about the city, its culture and learn some English that is connected to the city then listen to our podcast all about Birmingham:
- Complete the lesson on Premier Skills English > Skills > Listen > Podcasts > English and the UK: Birmingham
Talk about Aston Villa
- What do you know about Aston Villa? Are you a Villa fan?
- Do you know any of their players? Have you seen any Aston Villa matches?
- Where do you think Villa will finish in the Premier League this season? Do you agree with our prediction?
Write all your predictions and opinions in the comments section below.