Players of the Season: Jamie Vardy
Vardy's goals win the Premier League for Leicester City!
Jamie Vardy has been one of the great stories of Leicester City's amazing season. In a story straight from a football fairy tale, Vardy has become a hero to thousands of young footballers, and footballers who play at an amateur level, in the UK and across the world. It was Vardy's fourth season at Leicester and nothing that had happened before could have prepared the football world for what happened this season. Vardy was sensational!
The England striker scored 24 Premier League goals and made six assists during the season and only Tottenham's Harry Kane scored more, beating him to the Premier League's golden boot by one goal. Vardy's season included making his competitive debut for England, breaking the Premier League record for goals in consecutive matches, scoring one of the goal's of the season against Liverpool, and being named Barclays Premier League Player of the Season.
"It really has been a dream come true." Jamie Vardy.
What were Vardy's best moments?
Vardy has been in fantastic form all season, and has had some fantastic moments. Here are some of the key moments from this wonderful season:
- The opening day of the season: Vardy scores Leicester's first goal of the season in a 4-2 win against Sunderland.
- 28th of November: Vardy breaks the Premier League record for scoring in consecutive matches (11).
- 21st of December: Vardy is named as one of the top 100 players in world football by the Guardian newspaper.
- 2nd of February: Vardy scores one of the goals of the season in a 2-0 win against Liverpool. He got the other goal, too!
- 26th of March: Vardy scores his first goal for England. An amazing back-heel in a 3-2 win against Germany.
- 17th of April: Vardy receives a red card in a match against West Ham. He is banned for two matches.
- 7th of May: Vardy returns to the team and scores two goals as Leicester City celebrate winning the Premier League title.
- 13th of May: Vardy is named Premier League Player of the Season 2015/16.
From part-time player to Premier League star!
Jamie Vardy was born on 11 January 1987 in Sheffield, a large industrial city in the north of England. He played for Sheffield Wednesday as a youth player, but was released when he was 16 years old because the club said he was too small. The rest of his story is one that will inspire any footballer who is playing at a low level and dreams of making it to the Premier League. At the age of 23, Vardy was only earning £30 a week from football, playing for a small local team called Stocksbridge Park Steels in Sheffield. His main job was working in a factory in the local area. Vardy started scoring lots of goals in non-league football (more than four levels lower than the Premier League) and moved to Fleetwood Town. He helped the team into the Football League for the first ever time and became the most expensive footballer in non-league history, when Leicester City paid over £1 million for him to join the Foxes. At 25 years old, Vardy was playing professional football for the first time and helped Leicester to promotion to the Premier League in 2014 and then, in 2015/16, scored 24 Premier League goals to help Leicester City achieve the impossible - win the Premier League title.
"I never thought I could make it to the Premier League. I just wanted to keep improving as much as I could and see where that got me." Jamie Vardy.
What did you understand?
Did you know......?