Euro 2016: Hugo Lloris
Lloris saves his best till last
France will play Portugal in the final of Euro 2016. France beat Germany 2-0 in the semi-final with Antoine Griezmann scoring twice. Greizmann was the hero for France but Hugo Lloris, the French goalkeeper and captain, also played an important part in getting the host country to the final in Paris. In the first half, Lloris made good saves from Bastian Schweinsteiger, Thomas Muller and Emre Can to keep France in the match, and, in the second half, Lloris made a spectacular save to deny Joshua Kimmich a certain goal. Greizmann's goals may be taking the headlines but this was the first ever time that France had kept a clean sheet against Germany at a major tournament. Now, only Portugal, who beat Wales 2-0 in the other semi-final, stand in the way of an emotional French victory in front of their home fans. Do you think France will win?
"We did what we needed to do. We were clinical, and Lloris was great when we needed him to be." Didier Deschamps, the France coach.
Hugo Lloris's best Premier League moments
Hugo Lloris celebrates France's victory against Germany.
Lloris was in great form throughout the 2015/16 season as Spurs finished in their highest ever Premier League position. He has been an important part of the Tottenham team in recent years. Here are some of the key moments in his Premier League career:
- 31st of August 2012: Signs for Tottenham from Lyon in France. The fee was around £10 million.
- 20th of September: Makes his debut for Spurs and keeps a clean sheet in the Europa League.
- 7th of October: Makes his Premier League debut against Aston Villa and keeps another clean sheet!
- 28th of September 2014: Performs superbly against Manchester Utd in a 0-0 draw to win the Man of the Match Award.
- August 2015: Tottenham's manager, Mauricio Pochettino, names Lloris team captain.
- April 2016: Keeps successive clean sheets against Stoke City (4-0) and Manchester Utd (3-0) as Spurs battle Leicester for the Premier League title.
- May 2016: Keeps 13 clean sheets as Tottenham finish the season with the best defensive record in the Premier League.
What do we know about Hugo Lloris?
Hugo Lloris making a great save for Spurs against Crystal Palace.
Hugo Lloris was born on 26 March 1986 in Nice, a city in the south-east of France, about 30 kilometres from the border with Italy. Lloris started his football career with his hometown club, OCG Nice. After coming through the youth ranks at Nice he went on to make 77 appearances for the first team, before moving to Lyon where he played nearly 200 times. During his time at Lyon, Lloris won Ligue One's Goalkeeper of the Year Award three times and also made his international debut for France. Lloris has played for France since 2008 and has led the French team out at three international tournaments; Euro 2012, Brazil 2014 and now Euro 2016 in his home country. Since 2012, Lloris has played for Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League. He is considered to be one of the world's best goalkeepers and this season he will again captain Spurs as they compete in the Champions League and battle once more for the Premier League trophy.
"We know in football that everything is possible. It’s just about belief and we believe in ourselves." Hugo Lloris (talking before the Germany match.)
What do you think?
Answer the questions in the comments section below.